Tortilla chips with celery seed

This morning as I was lying in bed I was wondering why we don’t soak more things before cooking them. For example, dried beans should be soaked. The soaking gets rid of a lot of the sugars in them that cause intestinal gas. And the soaking also reduces the phytic acid in them, which inhibits our digestive system’s ability to absorb iron and other minerals.

The last time I was at the health food store I was cruising the bulk bins looking for things to try and bought some oat groats; they’re the entire oat seed, minus the chaff, but they still have their bran. Steel cut oats are oat groats that have been chopped up a bit with steel blades. The disadvantage to oat groats is that they take a long time to cook, so thinking about how I like to soak my brown rice I tried soaking the oat groats. Works well. I put about 3 tablespoons of them in a ziploc plastic bowl with enough water to cover them (I’m weighing it; 40 grams of oat groats and 50 grams of water) and put them in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning I dump them in with the rest of the stuff in my wheat bran mush which gets cooked in its bowl in the pressure cooker and cooked for zero minutes at pressure; I bring it up to pressure and then when it reaches the 15 psi mark I turn off the burner and leave it there to pressure release naturally. There are 3 cups of water that the bowl is sitting in and it’s sitting on the steamer trivet. (It takes several minutes for the water to boil and then for the pressure cooker to get up to pressure, and at least 10 minutes for the pressure to go down, so there is cooking going on.) The oat groats are cooked, but still chewy.

So this morning while lying in bed I was wondering what would happen if I soaked the nigella seeds before I added them to the dough. Then it occurred to me that I should try soaking some celery seeds. I steeped them; I boiled some water in a glass measuring cup in the microwave and then spooned it over the celery seeds that were in a bowl, then covered the bowl and let them sit for an hour or so. Just before I added them to the masa harina in the mixer bowl I ground them up as much as I could with a mortar and pestle. Even though I worked at grinding them it wasn’t much because the dough is full of tiny brown specks. I used 1.5 teaspoons of celery seed and 2 tablespoons of boiling water. The water they were steeping in also went into the dough. If this works then the next time I could start with the boiling water and let them soak overnight in the fridge.

As usual the dough is resting and will get flattened and baked later today.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s