Rusks; millet flour, pressure cooked

I’m doing a test of millet flour, pressure cooked. I’m curious to see how the texture of the rusks from this comes out and how it tastes. Millet flour is gluten free; the flour has a texture similar to the sorghum flour; sort of grainy so I’m hoping that the crackers won’t be tough.

The dough has a nice smell.  If the crackers are too crumbly I could use something like 1/4 cup barley or rye flour.

1 cup millet flour
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons instant potato
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup (approximately) water

The water quantity is an approximation. I add the water slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time. When the dough starts sticking together in clumps I let it mix longer before I add each additional tablespoon. Towards the end the dough will clump together and stick to the mixer’s paddle. In the beginning the mixer is on low; once the dough starts clumping together I put the spatter shield on the bowl and turn up the mixer’s speed. At this point, after each tablespoon of water it needs to mix for a minute or more before I add another tablespoon. Suddenly it will start sticking to the inside of the bowl instead of clumping together, becoming a very stiff batter. At this point I don’t add any more water since I’ll be cooking it in the pressure cooker in a steamy environment. Then I put it in a greased plastic bowl with a snap on lid, but before putting its lid on it I press some plastic food wrap down onto the dough. Even with plastic on it the top darkens. I let it rest for at least an hour before I transfer it to the loaf pan and cook it.

The dough is resting.

The reason I let the dough rest is that I read that whole grain flours don’t absorb fluids as quickly as white wheat flour does. And that the bran needs extra time to soak up its fluids. Additionally, there is enzyme activity going on that adds complexity to the flavor of the bread, but that probably requires a longer rest (for example, a day).

After its rest I put it in the little loaf pan, covered it with aluminum foil, and cooked it at high pressure for 35 minutes, then let the pressure go down naturally.

I set up my pressure cooker by putting the pressure cooker’s trivet in it then I put the folding steaming basket on top of it (with its center handle removed). I wanted the loaf pan up away from the water and I wanted to put in several cups of water.

Later, sliced and drying: I’m drying the slices at a lower temperature, 105, even though there aren’t any spices in the bread. I wanted to see how a lower temperature works out. One thing I’ve learned is that it takes a heck of a lot longer to dry the slices. After 10 hours I’ve just turned it up to 115. Hopefully they’ll be done by the time I go to bed.

The flavor seems to be good. They tasted better earlier on during their drying. Now they taste sort of bland.

Later, after drying and resting: The texture is ok. I sliced them at the 3 setting; they’re slightly too thick so I think 2.5 is the setting to use.

The flavor is slightly odd; it almost reminds me of fish.

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s